Monday, April 14, 2008

Who cares if it didn't make any money

Something awesome happened to me this weekend. Let me rephrase that: Something that most of my friends and a very specific group of fans across the country would think was awesome happened to me this weekend.

I was obsessively compulsively checking my e-mail at home Saturday afternoon, when I got a message from someone I didn't know. I opened it up and read it to myself, moving my lips along to every word, because that's how I roll. The message started by asking me if I had heard of the show Mystery Science Theater 3000. That's like asking me if I had ever heard of food. Of course I had and I'm a huge fan of that show. The message continued with the person telling me they were the husband of the woman that played Pearl Forrester on the show toward the end of it's run. The message concluded with his telling me that he and his wife had been given a copy of the Aqua Rangers and loved it. He said we did a great job and hoped we were doing more stuff.

I was totally on cloud nine. To be told by someone, whose work you love and admire, unprompted, that they loved something you created, really threw me for a loop. Making videos like the Aqua Rangers can really start to take it's toll after a while. It's a pretty thankless task. You pour your heart and soul into something for months and then it doesn't seem to do anything. It makes you doubt your abilities and want to give up. Then out of the blue you get a complement from someone you respect and it makes it all worthwhile. I don't need fame or fortune for my efforts, I just want to know people have enjoyed something I worked on. It would be nice to receive compensation for all the hard work, but at the end of the day, just knowing that you have successfully entertained someone is really all you want as a creative person. And the best response you can get is a wholly unprovoked accolade from a person who stands to gain nothing for their remarks and just felt compelled to say thanks.

Don't get me wrong, if any of you rich mother fuckers want to throw some money my way, I'll create the hell out of some shows for you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sending you a truck full of way to goes. Please sign the bill of lading when it gets there, and remember to tip the driver.

Love you and your work,

Dicky

Nick Gibbons said...

I love you and your work too Dicky. I'm so very proud of you doing all the art you've done. I know it's something you've always wanted to do and it's been so fantastic to watch you grow and flourish. I'm sending you two truck loads!

Anonymous said...

Alright, alright, break it up you two.

That's great, my little Nick Nick. Now hit that foo up fo sum work. He gots the hook up.

Anonymous said...

I love you two Sam. And unfortunately I think they are trying to make it happen just like me. It's a sad lonely world for the unsung artist.