Monday, December 15, 2008

IT'S HERE!!!!!!

Finally, I can talk about that big news I teased you about so long ago on this very blog. As many of you may know, for the past year I've been doing freelance work for Radical Axis. They're the animation company that produces Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Squid Billies for Adult Swim.

The first thing I ever did for them was this video for Matt Maiellaro:

I sat in a room for a month, animating and editing that video all by myself. This lead to more work at Radical.

While working with Matt one day, I let it slip that I was a writer and a big fan of Aqua Teen. He said I should write an episode. I got to work immediately and three days later I presented him with a finished script. Long story short after co-writing 3 more episodes with my good buddy Craig at Radical, Adult Swim set up a table read. I learned later that this was the first time they had ever had a table read for the show.

It was a dream come true. There I was in a room at Williams Street about to read one of my scripts with the two creators of one of my favorite shows. I sat next to Dave Willis, voice of Meatwad and Carl. We started reading the script. It was so weird to hear Carl and Meatwad speaking the words I wrote right next to me.

After a couple of days we get the news that they selected the first script I had written and they were going to produce it along with 3 new episodes for the next Aqua Teen DVD release. I was stoked out of my mind.

As if that wasn't enough, Radical Axis asked me to write a fake behind the scenes featurette for the upcoming Aqua Teen DVD. Not only would I have a writing credit on an episode appearing on the DVD, but I was going to help produce one of the extras.

I was on cloud nine. I shot a quick test movie of the direction I wanted to go with the fake behind the scenes that weekend and Radical loved it. Here's my test movie:

They liked it so much that they asked me to host the thing. Over the next few weeks, we shot the short I wrote and I edited it together. It was a ton of fun and the finished product was damn near as close to what I wanted as anything I've ever done. I have produced a lot of video pieces, and generally they never turn out exactly like I had hoped. This one was 94% right on the money.

I wanted to take a second to thank Craig, Scott, and Brandon for letting me have the chance to do the piece. Their trust and support helped make it a really great and funny short of which we can all be very proud.

The DVD is finally here! It comes out tomorrow (Tuesday Dec, 16th) and I'm so freaking excited I can barely see straight, although that also might be because of all the rum I drank this morning. Not only do I get a writing credit (actually story elements credit, but that's still pretty good), my fat little face is going to be on the DVD for several minutes.

I'd love for you all to go out and pick up a copy of the DVD and check it out. I don't get any extra money if you buy the DVD, so you could stop by my apartment and watch the short with me if you wanted to save a couple bucks. I know times is tough.

I'm so very appreciative of all that Radical has helped me accomplish in my short time here in Atlanta. I hope Radical and I can keep making awesome stuff in the year to come.

I put the finishing touches on my Earl script and it turned out really nice. I'm starting on the long, painful, and arduous task of sending my writing packet out to agencies this week. Nick needs work, so please cross your prayers and say your fingers for me.

6 comments:

jane jane said...

Nick that's friggin great!!! I am so happy to hear you are doing so will and getting a chance to do what you do best - be really effin funny!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it! Actually I can believe it. If anyone deserves this, its YOU. Its about time these yahoos see the talent and briliance you have. I am asking Santa for the ATHF DVD. I must have it if your "fat little face" is on it! Gratz my friend!

Clay Liford said...

Nice work, jackass. And by jackass, I mean butthole. And by butthole, I mean good buddy! Congrats. You deserve it?

Anonymous said...

Way to go Frank!! Sorry, Nick...way to go, Nick!

John J. said...

That's the American Dream right there... writing Aqua Teen eps. I just picked up the DVD set earlier. I had a good laugh at the Radical featurette... again. :)

M. E. Davis said...

What is Aqua Teen? is it like Aqua Rangers? Is there a water theme I'm missing? Why is purple so gay? And if an elephant farts, could it tie it's nose in a knot?

Congrats, my sweet, sweet, sweet sweet sweat, sweet friend.

Well deserved. Good luck.

Huzzah!