Wednesday, July 16, 2008

California day two

Hey guys, I've been super busy at work, editing a really fun project. Unfortunately I can't talk about it for another couple of months. At any rate my mind has been on this project pretty much every minute, making it difficult to concentrate on bloggerating. I hope all three of you that read my blog have been able to keep yourself busy during the lengthy breaks between blog entries.

Where were we... oh yeah, I was drugged and driving a rental car. That was Monday night. I forgot to tell you that a day before I left for Cali, Nickelodeon moved my pitch up from Thursday to Tuesday. So I hopped off the plane and had to do my pitch the very next day.

The pitch as in the Nickelodeon Studios in Burbank at 5pm. I left the Apartment in Orange County around 1pm. An hour later I was in Burbank. Now I had to dick around with butterflies in my stomach for 3 hours.

I found a comic book store, 20 minutes down. Only 2 hours and 40 minutes left. I found a Starbucks and nursed a cup of coffee for an hour and 30 minutes. Only 1 hour and 10 minutes left. I walk around and looked at things for 30 minutes. Only 40 minutes left.

While walking around I spotted this cool motel.

This is where Andy Dick does all his "research" for that drug movie he keeps telling everyone he's making "real soon".

Here's me driving around looking cool.

I finally decide to just go to Nickelodeon and wait it out there.

I pulled up to the Nickelodeon parking garage, I told them I had a meeting and they let me in. I parked and gathered my artwork for the pitch. I made my way to the entrance and was greeted by a "security" guard. I put the word security in quotes because this guy was 80 years old if he was a day. I can't imagine he offers much in the way of security, unless they are attacked by a bunch of 100 year old gang bangers or a bowl of tapioca pudding.

He lead me through the place, which was awesome on the inside. It was all Nickelodeoned out. It looked like a ride at Disney World had thrown up inside the building. The security guard was as cute as a button and told me about all the stuff we passed like a tour guide.

We arrived at the actual security desk, where a large black security guard sat. He was big and bad enough for two security guards, so I guess it all evened out. At this point it was about 4:25pm. I told the security guard I was here for a 5pm meeting. He looked at his watch, paused for a beat and then said, "You do realize you are really early right?"

I told him I was aware of my 35 minute lead time. He showed me where to hang out. I grabbed some coffee from the kitchen and waited for meeting, going over my pitch in my head.

Right at 5pm he called me over and I was escorted to a tiny conference room. I was left alone and quickly picked one of the 15 chairs to sit in. I sat there for a couple of minutes by myself, as the feeling of being in an examining room at the doctors office washed over me. Finally the two people I was meeting with showed up.

We exchanged pleasantries and I nervously launched into my pitch. 10 minutes later I was done and after a couple of quick questions, they were walking me out.

The whole thing literally took 15 minutes. One expensive plane ticket, one rental car, a week in LA for 15 minutes. To be honest, my nerves and fears were telling me it was a bad idea to spend all the money and go out there up until the pitch. I felt guilty for spending money we really didn't need to be spending on a silly trip to LA for a pitch meeting that was a 1 in 100,000,000 chance.

But after the meeting, after pitching my show, after all the nerves melted away, I was hit with a feeling of accomplishment. A feeling that it was 100% worth the time and money, just for the experience. It felt good. Far to many times I have not done something I wanted to out of fear, and I have to say, I was scared shitless to pitch a show. No matter the outcome, I did it and I will do it again.

I asked the receptionist to take this on my way out.

He's much taller in person.

Have to go, but the trip doesn't end here, in fact it just starts...


dicky said...

So you couldn't have gotten dressed up for your big meeting?

Fingers crossed that all comes out well. This story has me on the edge of my cushion.

sam said...

I am on the edge too. I can't wait for the rest.

Now I hope I speak the the other two that read this: STOP MAKING US WAIT!! Forget your "project" that you're doing. It's probably just another drawing of a penis or something.

Love ya, Nick!

dicky said...

For the record, I'm off the edge of my cushion on this story, and have already moved on to something else. Sorry, slow to blog Nick...

Nick Gibbons said...

There will be one tonight, get back on that cushion!

dicky said...

1101 pm and no blog..boy you suckered me.. i still love you, and know you must be cookin up something else pretty cool...right?

Nick Gibbons said...

Sorry Dicky, I mismanaged my time, then had one of the most violent and horrible anxiety attacks I've ever had. Not a fun night.